July 25, 2011

Next 50 apps for funding..

"CityArtists awarded $200,000 to 44 individual artists working in the performing arts. Seventeen of the 44 funded artists were first-time recipients."

Seriously.. That's it? So at least 62% were likely rewarded based on their achievements, like having already received a grant.. Now that's encouraging!


Woosh ~ The application for the Next 50 was SO hard to do!! Way more time consuming than I ever imagined it could be. For an example, the artist statement had a 1000 character limit which seems like cake until you realize that it also has to be bold & profound since it's the only chance that you have to give them a feel for who you are as an artist and what makes you tick.. Plus it needs to tie in your work samples (past) to the work you're proposing to do to an assimilated grand scheme, hopefully.. I actually finally got a fabulous way to explain the dark, dismal world of AE and how it relates to the fairy tale as the polar opposite or better option for the world we're living in today BUT it was 116 characters over a thousand so I started chopping away at it looking at only 3 words at a time like:

"We are standing on the precipice of the fate of man.."

became: "We stand on a precipice of fate"

Which could mean something not as nearly as poetic or profound making it end up sounding like a crack raving schizophrenic reciting dada haiku! All of a sudden each sentence seem to be a completely new and totally random/independent thought without any cohesion or complexity! Mania... But I have a good feeling about it anyway BECAUSE IT IS MY DESTINY! It just is.. can't explain it but I'm really meant to do this thing or at least die trying (not gonna happen, yet)

I would share my application on here but this was just the preliminary screening and it's pretty damn competitive out there, really! So I'm gonna keep it to myself until the final d-day... Wish me luck, love, and will!!

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment